The Jeanie Johnston was a three-masted sailing vessel launched in 1848. The barque ship initially transported Irish immigrants to America during the Great Famine and returned with cargo such as wood. It sunk in 1855. This recreation was launched in 2000. When docked along the quay, the tall ship serves as a history museum and event center. Behind it is the Samuel Beckett Bridge, one of River Liffey’s newest landmarks. It was cleverly designed by Santiago Calatrava to resemble a harp, Ireland’s national symbol. The 394 foot steel bridge opened for traffic in 2009. The waterfront buildings in the background are on Sir John Rogerson’s Quay.