Apparently hope springs eternal, especially when searching for hot springs. Vilmos Zsigmondy spent a decade drilling over 3,000 feet within City Park before taping into thermal water in 1878. A temporary bathhouse was quickly established and then replaced by Széchenyi Baths in 1913 based on a design by Gyözὄ Czigler. The Czigler wing was expanded until this Neo-Baroque structure with three domed pavilions became Europe’s largest bath. The complex offers ten saunas and 18 pools. The three outdoor pools remain open all year. The natural mineral water is praised for its medicinal value.