This sunken garden next to the Canada Pavilion was inspired by the Butchart Gardens near Victoria. It was established in 1909, five years after a quarry pit owned by Robert Butchart was depleted of limestone. So his wife Jennie had it filled with top soil and began planting flowers and foliage on the estate they called Benvenuto. This is Italian for Welcome. Now the National Historic Site is enjoyed by over a million visitors a year.