Sun Fountain in the Lower Park was created at the request of Catherine the Great during her reign from 1762 until 1796. The fountain’s name is derived from the spinning golden disks atop a bronze column. Water also sprays from the mouths of dolphins at the base in the center of the pond. In the background is one of two aviaries designed by Nicola Michetti and finished in 1722. Peter the Great enjoyed visiting his collection of birds within the wooden pavilions.