Visually monopolizing the east side of Merdeka Square is the 450 foot long Sultan Abdul Samad Building. Photography and superlatives fail to do it justice. This was the Government Offices for the British starting in 1897. This was two years after the British consolidated the four Malay Peninsula states into a Protectorate of the United Kingdom. The Federated Malay States lasted until the Japanese occupation in 1942. The building’s Neo-Mughal, F-shaped design has four million bricks with white banding, marvelous colonnades defining verandahs plus copper onion domes. The centerpiece is the 141 foot clock tower. Inside is a one ton bell that chimes twice an hour. During its history, this heritage building has housed various government offices and courthouses. The major occupant today is the Malaysia’s Ministry of Information, Communications and Culture.