Approach this marvelous National Historic Site from Wellington Row when the afternoon sun illuminates the façade. There is no question why St. John’s Anglican Church is colloquially called Stone Church. The masonry work is striking, especially after the recent renovation. These stones were originally ballasts used to stabilize British cargo ships during the early 19th century. The Gothic Revival church was built in 1825 to serve the British garrison. St. John’s Church was one of the few buildings left standing after the fire in 1877 destroyed most of the city.