The Danes built this Lutheran church in 1753. The original name was the Lutheran Church of the Sabaoth. Until 1831, this was the place of worship for the officers and soldiers at Fort Christiansvaern plus the local government officials and staff of the Danish West Indies. The name was later officially changed to the Church of our Lord God of Sabato. But everyone calls it the Steeple Building because of the clock tower and wooden cupula topped with a red roof, a weather vane and the Danish flag. The Steeple Building is part of the Christiansted National Historic Site.