The original statue of St. Francis Xavier on the Charles Bridge was sculpted by Ferdinand Brokoff in 1711. In 1890, this and another sculpture plummeted into the Vltava river when three arches collapsed during a major flood. It was reproduced in 1913. Francis Xavier (1506 – 1552) was a Spanish Jesuit and founder of the Society of Jesus. This sculpture portrays his extensive missionary travels throughout Asia and India to convert people to Christianity.