St. Werburgh’s Church in Dublin, Ireland - Encircle Photos

4 St. Werburgh’s Church in Dublin, Ireland

St. Werburgh’s Church was built in 1178. The classic Italianate design was the work of Thomas Burgh. For a while it was the parish church for the Dublin Castle. The structure originally had a tower and spire containing six bells. These were removed in in 1836. The namesake for the Anglican church is Saint Werburgh. Werburga was the daughter of Wulfhere. He was the mid-7th century King of Mercia, an Anglo-Saxon territory in present-day England. Despite born as a princess, she spent her life as a nun at the Abbey of Ely before dying in 700.

VIEW MAP

2 Werburgh St, Dublin, Ireland

Directions

Share this Photo