The Town of Halifax was founded in 1749 based on a proclamation by King George II. The earliest British colonists settled around a 1.5 acre, rectangular space known as Grand Parade. Their first activities were building homes and St. Paul’s Church. The simple Georgian design was drafted by James Gibbs. This is the oldest surviving Anglican church in Canada. Inside of the National Historic Site of Canada are crypts and memorials of war heroes, governors, chief justices and prominent citizens dating back to 1781.