The Saint Paul missionary was established in 1763 when today’s Portland was named Falmouth. Their first church succumbed to a British bombardment in 1775 during the American Revolution. The second structure suffered the same fate as the rest of the city when destroyed by fire in 1866. This third St. Paul’s Anglican Church was finished in 1868. The multi-color stones on the Gothic Revival façade sparkle in the sunshine like facets of a gemstone. The symbols in the stained-glass rose window represent the Four Evangelists: Saints John (eagle), Luke (calf), Mark (lion) and Matthew (man).