On St. Patrick’s Day in 1192, Archbishop John Comyn designated a parish church to become a collegiate one dedicated to learning. Early in the 13th century it became a cathedral. During the mid-16th century, King Edward VI confiscated its possessions, gave them to Christ Church Cathedral a few blocks away, and converted the Roman Catholic cathedral into an Anglican one. To rectify having two cathedrals in the same city, St. Patrick’s is considered to be the National Cathedral of Ireland. The tower peaks at 140 feet.