There are ten bridges spanning the North Channel of the River Lee in Cork. The triple-arched, 168 foot St. Patrick’s Bridge was constructed in 1861. It replaced an earlier one from the late 18th century that was washed away in an 1853 flood. The buildings on the left face Camden Quay. On the other side of the bridge along the north bank is St. Patrick’s Quay. On the south side is a major shopping district of the city.