This tall Gothic tower with lancet windows by architect G. P. Manners was built in 1837 for St Michael’s Church. It replaced three processors on this Broad Street site. The first was constructed in 973. The second – known as St Michael’s Without – was built circa 1400 and located just outside of the medieval town walls near North Gate. The third had a Georgian style by John Harvey and was finished in 1743. This Church of England parish resumed its prior name after merging with Holy Trinity Queen’s Square in 2013. St Michael’s Without is dedicated to Michael the Archangel.