The Archdiocese of Toronto was founded in 1841 and is now the largest in Canada. Groundbreaking for their mother church began in 1845. The English Gothic Revival design by William Thomas is crowned by an imposing 260 foot spire. The interior is equally impressive. Among the outstanding features are ribbed stone columns forming lancet arches, cast-iron lanterns illuminating the nave, hand-blown stained-glass windows, about 40 statues and this gilded tabernacle with an image of the Madonna with Child. The cathedral became a minor basilica in 2016 when it reopened after an extensive, five-year renovation. The Roman Catholic church is the oldest building in Toronto still in use for its original purpose.