St. Mathew’s Anglican Church was founded in 1799 to give parishioners on the east side of the island an alternative to the Parish of Christ Church in the heart of Nassau. This church was built by Joseph Eve and opened in 1802. The steeple and clock were added in 1816. Although it has been renovated several times, its appearance remains little changed since the early 19th century. In the surrounding churchyard is a cemetery. St. Mathew’s is the oldest standing church in Nassau.