St. Mary’s Church became Rostock’s main church when its first phase was completed in 1279. Marienkirche was expanded in 1290, 1398 and 1454. Although it was hit during the WWII Allied bombings, it is the only town church not heavily destroyed by fire so inside are numerous, centuries-old adornments. Thanks to a significant effort by the Lutheran Diocese of Mecklenburg, this Gothic brick church is undergoing an extensive renovation scheduled for completion in 2018. St. Mary’s Church is located adjacent to the Neur Market square.