St Mary’s Chapel was founded in 1821 to serve the Roman Catholic worshiping needs of Sydney’s earliest settlers, British soldiers and penal inmates. Three buildings were created and subsequently destroyed during the 19th century until the Gothic Revival plans of architect William Wardell began in 1868. The first phase of St Mary’s Cathedral was consecrated 14 years later. Subsequent additions were finished in 1928 and 2000. This minor basilica now has twin sandstone spires reaching 245 feet and containing 14 bells. The cathedral’s 351 foot length qualifies as Australia’s longest church.