Killarney’s architectural jewel is the Cathedral of Our Lady of Assumption. The Gothic Revival design of the Roman Catholic church was conceived by Augustus Welby Pugin. After construction was stalled by the Great Famine, another architect named J. J. McCarthy finished St Mary’s Cathedral in 1855. Beneath the impressive spire is a rose window accented by three elongated lancet windows. Collectively they create a spectacular entrance.