The first Presbyterians arrived on St. John’s Island (now Prince Edward Island) in 1770. Over 60 years would pass before they had their own place to worship. Both the first and second Kirk of St. James were constructed with wood. Architect David Sterling drafted the Gothic Revival design of the existing St. James Presbyterian Church. The project was finished in 1878. The multi-hued façade is sandstone from Nova Scotia. The faceted tower reaches a height of 130 feet.