30 statues of saints were placed along the balustrades on both sides of the Charles Bridge from 1683 to 1714. Most are now replicas. Seven originals are displayed in Lapidarium, a gallery maintained by the National Museum of Prague. Knowing these are copies does not detract from their impressiveness. The statue nearest the bridge’s eastern terminus is St. Ivo, created by Matthias Braun in 1711. Ivo of Kermartin (1253 – 1303) was initially a priest who became a judge of the Ecclesiastical court. This patron saint of lawyers is depicted protecting orphans, widows and the poor.