The British East India Company bartered with the Sultan of Kedah to acquire Prince of Wales Island (now Penang Island) in 1786. However, the British would not have their first, purpose-built Anglican church until St. George’s was built in 1818 and consecrated the following year. The Georgian Palladian design was created by William Petrie, the island’s first governor. This is the oldest Anglican Church in Southeast Asia. St. George’s Church is listed among the 50 National Heritage Treasures of Malaysia.