Construction of the Agios Georgious started in 1840 as an Anglican church to serve British soldiers who were stationed at the Old Fortress. When Corfu was ceded to Greece in 1864, the denomination changed to Greek Orthodox the following year. St. George’s Church was heavily damaged by German air raids in 1943. However by 2008 it was restored to its Georgian neo-classical design with a marble facade that resembles a Doric Temple. The lighthouse in the background is Paleo Enetiko Frouno.