The British took control over Saint Vincent in 1763 and established St George’s Church in Kingstown two years later. Headstones in the yard reflect the names of some of the island’s earliest English settlers. In 1780, a hurricane destroyed the first Anglican church on this site. This Georgian replacement was constructed with lava stone and consecrated in 1820. The three bells within the tower were cast in Liverpool, England. In 1927, when the Diocese of the Windward Islands was formed, the church became St George’s Cathedral.