St. Francis Monastery Tower in Kotor, Montenegro

During the early 13th century, Saint Francis of Assisi established the Order of Friars Minor, better known as Franciscans. Shortly after his death in 1226, the friars began to establish missionaries across Albania. The first one in Kotor started in 1283. Five years later, they built a monastery near the Gurdić or South Gate. It was destroyed in 1667. This empty bell tower stands near the monastery ruins.

VIEW MAP

Monastery of St. Francis Ulica 2 (sjever-jug), Kotor, Montenegro

Directions

Share this Photo