Initially, Tabán was a Medieval village below the Buda Castle populated by Turks. It later became a Bohemian neighborhood. Franciscans established a Catholic parish here in the 17th century and built St. Catherine of Alexandria in 1736. This clock tower was added in 1753 and restored in the late 19th century. During the 1930s, most of the surroundings buildings were leveled as part of an urban development program. Fortunately, this church was spared.