When Canute IV of Denmark was murdered in 1086 by a revolting crowd of peasants, a church was constructed on this site for the burial of the Viking king. He was canonized as a saint in 1101. After that church burned in 1247, it took more than two hundred years to construct the current St. Canute’s Cathedral. It was finally finished in 1499. Saint Canute’s crypt is located within one of the Odense Domkirke’s chapels.