After the expulsion of the occupying Turks in 1687, their mosques were destroyed and gradually replaced with Catholic churches. The Jesuits were among the first to construct a monastery in the late 17th century. In 1700, they began building St. Bernard’s Church. The Baroque design of Stephen Pethὄ featuring two towers was finished in 1743. The Jesuits only worshiped here a few years before their order was abolished by Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II. The church was then turned over to the Cistercians until they were similarly expelled in 1787. 202 years later, the Cistercians regained procession. The structure has been rebuilt twice: in 1888 and again in 1902.