St Audoen’s Church was established by an Anglo-Norman archbishop named John Comyn in the late 12th century. Saint Audoen is the namesake. This 7th century Bishop of Rouen in France was the founder of an abbey, monastery and nunnery. This was a Catholic church until it was seized in 1547 during the English Reformation. Now its denomination is Anglican, part of the Church of Ireland. This medieval structure, the oldest parish church in Dublin, is not to be confused with the adjacent catholic church of the same name. Inside of this 17th century tower are three bells, the earliest cast in 1423.