Architecture as magnificent as St Anne’s Cathedral takes time. This Hiberno Romanesque design by architect Thomas Drew began in 1899 on the site of a parish church from 1776. The cathedral was not completely finished until 1981, although the nave was consecrated in 1904. Its namesake is Saint Anne, the mother of the Virgin Mary. In the left and right tympanums are reliefs of the Crucifixion and Resurrection. Over the central Great West Door is an image by sculptor Esmond Burton showing God the Father surrounded by saints.