Most of the Calton Jail was torn down to accommodate the construction of the St. Andrew’s House. The art deco building designed by Thomas Tait was completed in 1939 and renovated in 2001. It serves as a government office for about 1,400 people including the First and Deputy First Ministers of Scotland. The former position is the primary leader of the Scottish Government. The tower on the right is the Nelson Monument in honor of the naval war hero Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson.