Two attempts were made to construct a cathedral for Sydney; once in 1819 when the parish was established and again in 1836. Both projects failed. In 1846, Edmund T. Blacket’s Gothic Revival design was approved. He became the colony’s most prolific architect until his death in 1883. St Andrew’s Cathedral was finished in 1868, giving it the distinction as the country’s oldest cathedral. The central tower stands 130 feet. The Cathedral Church of Andrew the Apostle serves the Anglican Church of Australia.