St. Andrew’s Church was built in 1784 for a congregation belonging to the Church of Scotland. It was the first religious structure in Edinburgh’s New Town. This 167 foot bell tower was added three years later. In 1814, St. George’s Church was finished in nearby Charlotte Square. In 1964, they were forced to move when they could not fund repairs. Their building became the National Records of Scotland and the two churches merged.