A minority of Loyalists who escaped to Saint John in 1783 were of Scottish heritage. They had watched as their Anglican counterparts constructed Trinity Church (also on Germain Street). Some attended services there. But they wanted their own place to worship their Presbyterian faith. Auld Kirk opened in 1815 and was renamed Saint Andrew’s in 1817. Citywide fire destroyed it in 1877. The parishioners were resourceful. They purchased bricks from the burnt hull of an adjacent hotel and rebuilt in less than two years. In 1925, Saint Andrew’s joined the United Church of Canada. In 1962, it merged with the Saint David’s United Church. Unfortunately, after 140 years, the church was closed in the autumn of 2018.