The Citizens’ Free Library was established in Halifax in 1864. Both the collection and housing were small, even after it moved into a wing of City Hall in 1890. Soon after World War II, plans developed to create the city’s first municipal library. The name became the Halifax Memorial Library as a remembrance to servicemen who died in battle. This building in Grafton Park was the main branch until 2014. In that year, the new Halifax Central Library opened at Spring Garden Road and Queen Street. The Halifax Public Libraries now has 14 branches with a collection of one million items.