Sponza Palace in Dubrovnik, Croatia

When the Sponza Palace was built in 1522, it was a customs office and a bonded warehouse. It survived the 1667 earthquake so an inscription about honestly weighing shipments can still be seen over the loggia. Towards the top is the seemingly ever-present statue of Saint Blaise. Palača Sponza now houses the city’s archives with thousands of public records and manuscripts dating back to the 12th century.

VIEW MAP

Stradun 2, 20000, Dubrovnik, Croatia

Directions

Share this Photo