The Beauchamps owned the Cardiff Castle from 1416 – 1449. From 1423 through 1439, they constructed their housing along the western wall. The best preserved structure from the 15th century is the Beauchamp Tower. Richard de Beauchamp ordered this 75 foot high, octagonal tower using ashlar stone and limestone. It was crowned with this cathedral-like spire with pinnacles during the 19th century.