The Cardiff Castle was controlled by the de Clare family from 1216 until 1314. Richard de Clare’s son, Gilbert “The Red,” is credited with building this South Gate and the Black Tower standing behind it. This is now the main visitor entrance to the castle. After the death of Gilbert, the castle was owned by the Despensers for nearly 100 years (1317 – 1416). On the left is the Clock Tower. It was constructed much later in the castle’s history.