Adjacent to the Province House is this statue of a soldier holding a rifle above his head. It is the South African War Memorial. Over 7,000 Canadian servicepeople participated in the battles (also called the Boer War) between 1899 and 1902. 267 were killed and another 250 were wounded. George Albert, then the Prince of Wales and future George V, officiated over the dedication ceremonies. The statue was created by Hamilton MacCarthy. The granite building in the background was the Bank of Commerce from 1906 until 1977. The Neoclassical structure designed by Albert Kahn became the Pacifico Dance Club in 2020.