The westernmost edge of Lake Ontario ends at a narrow isthmus named Hamilton Beach. In the center is a deep canal dredged in 1830. This allowed commercial ships to enter the protected waters of Burlington Bay, also called Hamilton Harbour. For generations, this area only served a thriving industrial sector. The city is Canada’s top manufacturer of steel and iron. Increasingly, several of the old docks are being repurposed for recreational use. The boy fishing on a small peninsula at Pier 4 would agree the results to date are scenic and serene. Nearby is Bayfront Park. The 40 acre greenspace is a favorite among hikers, runners, cyclists, swimmers and boaters.