The Old Town of Korčula was a walled-in peninsula surrounded with massive stone walls and a network of medieval towers in the 13th century. They were maintained until the end of the Venetian Republic in 1797 when Korčula became part of the Habsburg Monarchy. After centuries of neglect, most of the walls were torn down during the 19th century. One of the few that remains is this rampart attached to the Veliki Revelin Tower. Veliki in Croatian means great or big.