Canaries is a colorful small town of 1,900 people facing a marvelous seascape. The name is Kanawe in the Antillean Creole language (mix of French, Carib and African spoken in the Lesser Antilles). The English translation is cooking pots. This is a reference to processing sugarcane. The area was settled in 1763. Quickly, the surrounding land was dominated by sugarcane plantations. After their demise, the village shrunk and many of the remaining residents turned to fishing. Canaries has little tourist appeal unless who want to observe the true culture of Saint Lucians.