Native son Sir Walter Scott was first famous for his poetry and later his historical fiction during his writing career in the late 18th century and early 19th century. After his death in 1832, Edinburgh began planning for an elaborate memorial. This 200 foot, Victorian Gothic monument was finished in Princes Street Garden in 1844. The architect was George Kemp and the sculptor of the white marble statue of Scott was John Steell. Most impressive are the 93 figures displayed within the niches. 64 of them are characters from Scott’s literature plus other Scottish poets and writers.