The quaint Sant’Ana Church is perched on a hill between Armação and Ossos Beaches. The Catholic church was founded in 1740. According to folklore, it was name in honor of the Virgin Mary’s mother because a statue of Saint Anne was found floating nearby. It was presumably lost at sea during a Portuguese expedition of Brazil’s coastline. Behind Igreja de Sant’Ana is a cemetery originally created to inter slaves.