Santa María la Mayor Church has an impressive clock tower, an arched portico and two terraces defined with simple stone columns. These balconies were used by the social elite to watch festivals and bullfights in the adjoining square. The structure began as a Muslim mosque during the 14th century and was converted into a Catholic church beginning in the late 15th century. After an earthquake in 1580, the rebuilding process extended until 1720. Yet the tower still displays evidence of a former minaret. A highlight inside is a painting of Christopher Columbus by Jose de Ramos.