In 1256, Cardinal Pietro Capocci discovered an icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary floating in a well behind his house. He and Pope Alexander IV declared the miracle to be a Marian apparition and ordered a chapel to be built on the spot adjacent to an existing church. After the church was rebuilt in 1513, it was gifted to the Servite Order. The Catholic friars and nuns constructed their convent by the end of the 16th century (it was torn down in 1930). Then they finished the rebuilding of Santa Maria in Via in 1681. The two-story façade created by architect Giacomo della Porta is faced with travertine limestone.