The origin of Santa Luzia Church is shrouded in legend. One story claims Portugal navigator Fernão de Magalhães erected a small shrine here to Our Lady of the Navigators in 1519. Still others believe the first chapel was erected by fishermen (perhaps Franciscans) in 1592. Either way, this was a very early addition to colonial times. Back then, it was perched at the mouth of Guanabara Bay. Today, it looks lost on a busy avenue named Rua Santa Luzia. The current structure was built in 1752. One of its earliest Mass goers was John VI (Dom Joao VI), the King of Portugal.