The Sanctuary of St. Anthony of Valongo was founded in 1640 by Franciscan friar Manoel de Santa Maria. This qualifies as one of the oldest churches in Brazil. The exterior is a bit bland, yet the nave has an impressive Baroque design. Above the gilded altar is a fresco ceiling depicting St. Anthony and St. Francis. Along the wall are painted porcelain panels. The Valongo complex includes The Chapel of the Venerable Third Order of Saint Francis, built in 1691, and a wing of the original convent.