The church of San Jerónimo el Real was built in 1505 as part a Hieronyite monastery. Its proximity to the former Buen Retiro Palace gave it the status of a royal chapel. The impressive Isabelline Gothic design was renovated and expanded twice during the 19th century. The Roman Catholic church is dedicated to St. Jerome. He was a theologian who translated the Bible into Latin during the early 5th century. San Jerónimo has been called one of the four Great Doctors of the Church. St. Jerome the Royal is located near the Prado Museum.