From 1519 to 1821, the land west of the Mississippi was New Spain. In 1793, during the Spanish rule, this church in Old Town Plaza was called San Francisco Xavier. It was renamed San Felipe de Neri by the Duke of Albuquerque. This honored Philip V, the former King of Spain. It looks similar to the Collegiate Church in Xàtiva. This town in eastern Spain was burned down by Philip V during the War of Spanish Succession and then also called San Felipe.